Thursday, July 30, 2020

day 3 in southern Minnesota and 13 quarts!

Day 3 in southern Minnesota dawned very much like day 2, but today, I walked to a neighbor's farm place roughly a mile from my home place. I was curious to see if the house or any other buildings were standing so hiked into the driveway to discover no buildings remained. It was the building site where Cory and Kyle sought refuge from a tornado back on June 28, 1979. *

Next, Kurt and I enjoyed breakfast together. Then Katie and I traveled to Mountain Lake to the Care and Share shop--found some fun items, had coffee at Sweet Fields and then traveled to Saint James to have lunch with Mom, go grocery shopping and spend about an hour just relaxing and preparing for our journey home to River Falls. As we were getting ready to leave, I thought "why don't I get some sweet corn from the Wacker corn stand?" so I did. 

On our way home, we stopped at IKEA for a few classroom essentials, to the Mall of America for dinner and then arrived home. At that time, I hugged Osten and Brad and immediately started to work on the 5 dozen ears of corn purchased at the Wacker farm stand. I processed 5 quarts on Wednesday night and finished with 8 more quarts on Thursday. We will be eating 6 ears for dinner tonight. 

What a fun adventure home to Saint James/Butterfield/Mountain Lake. Thanks to Mom, Kurt, Kelly, Kyle and Ryan for making it such a special trip for Katie and I. 
view from our lunch at Memorial Park 



*I found an interesting article discussing this date as the most active date for northwestern flow in recorded history with 27 tornado events in a 9 hour period in the upper midwest. 

No comments:

happy Wednesday