Monday, May 16, 2011

pen pals



    • Several days ago, I received a message from Facebook from a long lost 4-H friend, one that I met when I was 10 or 11 years old.  Here is a brief interchange between myself and Stacy Hull from Mankato: 


      WOW!  Great to get your message! I believe we originally met at 4-H camp and then also reconnected at the science fair. My niece, Liana and nephew, Ryan were just competing at the same science fair. When I learned of their attendance, your face popped into mind and then coming into work this morning/getting your message WOW!

      You look amazing, exactly like you did 25+ years ago and have two great looking kiddos. You have my dream job--I would love to get into teaching, but am currently working at the University level in the Dean's office in the College of Agriculture.

      Again, great to get your message and it was a little twilight zonish to get your message ;)

      Karen

    • OH MY GOSH!!!! I am so excited to get your message, I am at my computer just giggling away and actually getting some tears in my eyes-too exciting!! I am also really happy to know that you remember me! I had forgotten about the 4H deal-no wonder I remember being in touch with you quite a bit via letters etc. I have a couple things to tell you about:
      First of all, I have many relatives in S. Dak-so thought of you often when driving through Butterfield. Then, I remember seeing your engagement photo in the paper several years ago (how long ago were you married), and I saw the picture and knew it was you before I read the info. I saved that for a long time bc I was going to try to contact you, but there was not Facebook, so it was not so easy.
      Tell me what you are up to?? Working at the University level has to be pretty interesting. How far are you from Hudson? I have a sister who lives there. I teach 3rd grade-have been teaching for about 15 years. I love it!!!! I bet you would be an excellent teacher, and never too late! It looks like you have kids-one? I have a daughter, Sarah who is in 5th grade, and a son, Patrick in second grade. They keep me busy!!
      Thanks for the compliment-and you look awesome too - I knew it was you right away-look the same:>) This so fun!! Staci :>)
    • great example!
      Thought I would share: My class was writing a last letter of the year to their pen pals on Friday. Many of he letters that we had received from them (they are not from far away-just a different Elem. school in Mankato) and were now responding to said things like "I wish I could meet you" or "I wish we could be friends", and many included home addresses and phone numbers. Anyway, I was trying to impress upon them that they should really make an effort to meet their pen pal over the summer, and stay in touch. It was a perfect time to tell them my great story about my pen pal Karen, and how we recently got in touch with each other after what? 25-30 years!! They were amazed!! So cool :>)

No comments:

break day 3

Woke up on my home farm and headed over to Brandt Ridge to get the last of Moms stuff packed and brought to Kyle and Kim’s garage. We got he...