Tuesday, April 9, 2013

reclaiming spaces


Back in the day--early 2000s, I really enjoyed the television show, Trading Spaces.  This weekend, I decided to reclaim a space in our basement.  The basement bathroom wall was on my list of things to paint last summer, but time was golden and fleeting and slipped away before I was able to accomplish.

Every weekend, I make a list of chores and have started directing different family members to tackle a project.  A decided to clean the downstairs bathroom and he did a very thorough job with taking everything movable out of the space.  As I saw this empty space, I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to start/finish the job I had planned for the summer.  We had tsp to clean the walls, we had beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass paint from Cory and Joan, paintbrushes, painters tape, rollers, pans and boundless energy.

After washing the walls approximately 20 times with clear water, 5 times with TSP and another 10 times with clear water, the walls were prepped for painting.  I let the walls dry and at about 4 pm, applied the first coat.  It rolled on like a dream!  I believe the walls had never been painted since the home was constructed nearly 70 years ago.  The first coat was applied in less than 10 minutes.  I let the first coat dry for four hours and applied the second coat.

Now that we are finished with that project, the walls near the bathroom look REALLY shabby, so when time/budget affords, we plan on painting the family room and hallway to Anders' room a warm grey color (mushroom is the name of the paint color).  It really didn't take too much time and the temperatures are cool enough to be comfortable while painting.

We reclaimed our basement bathroom--Paige from the original Trading Spaces show would be proud!
original wall

voila--presto chango

No comments:

warm memory of Uncle Leo

  My uncle Leo loved being in the woods and collecting maple sap and boiling it down. His grandson, Tyler just posted this photo of his gran...